We are officially in our third trimester!
While pregnancy wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, you know, the glowing skin and cute belly, it is still an incredible journey. My first trimester was filled with exhaustion and nausea, but the second trimester was much different. I really can feel him moving around which makes it much more real! My belly went from a bloated look to a pregnant look. I stopped feeling nauseous which was epic. I also started to eat like a normal person again which helped me mentally feel better. Unfortunately, the exhaustion never went away as I still can’t do more than one house chore without wanting to take a nap.
Each trimester is a new experience. And as much as baby is growing and changing, so is mommy. It helps to have some products that make life easier and more comfortable.
Here are my 2nd Trimester Must-Haves:
- Pregnancy Jeans: In my first trimester, I really only needed a pair of pregnancy dress pants to help me with that midday bloat. Now in the 2nd trimester, I needed to get new jeans. Maternity clothes aren’t my favorite, I think they stretch and move too much. But these were great to have if I knew we were going out to eat. I continued to have lots of post-meal bloat during this trimester, but this time my pants could not contain it all. I continued to use my regular jeans otherwise, just used that hair tie trick…
- Belly Band: After I discovered I didn’t like the maternity section very much, I opted for a belly band in the hope it would allow me to continue wearing my normal pants and jeans. It does, however, it isn’t that fantastic. I tend to have to pull it up and adjust it constantly. I still use it though, especially for those low-cut jeans that don’t do so well with the hair tie.
- Pregnancy Pillow: Actually, I bought this in my first trimester. But, I appreciate it a lot more now that my belly has grown. If you didn’t get this right away, I would definitely recommend it in the 2nd trimester!
- Pregnancy T-shirts: Now here is a maternity item I can get behind! Near the end of my 2nd trimester, my normal shirts started getting too short. Marwan purchased several printed pregnancy shirts for me online and I started browsing the t-shirt section of Target. Nothing fancy, just basic shirts that didn’t flash my belly.
- Compression socks/stockings: I have an unnatural fear of leg swelling and varicose veins. Since most of my hospital shifts are 12 hours and require a lot of standing, I decided to be proactive. I started just with socks to the knees. I won’t lie, these are ugly! But I could hide them under scrubs and they really help get rid of that achy, tired feeling in you feet and legs. Since they were so ugly, I also decided to get a pair of compression nylons. These are great because they look jut like regular nylons. Just be careful getting these babies on, they are tight but still susceptible to runs. When looking for compression products, look for 15-20 mmHg compression.