Who knew that June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month?! I mean, this is my kind of month!
While I was not very strict about eating meat and animal products during my pregnancy, I have returned to my vegetable-based ways since giving birth last month. My diet is about 90% plant-based (damn you queso!), but for the month of June I will be going 100% plant-based. I have written before about the health benefits of plant-based diets and now I challenge you to try it out.
The challenge is straight forward: no meat products. This includes meat, fish, poultry, and dairy. Instead, fill your plate with fruits, vegetables, legumes, and grains. As we go through this month, I will share some of my favorite vegan recipe, as well as tips for not feeling like your missing the meat. A month may seem like forever without animal products, but I guarantee the time will fly by. And as the days go by you will begin to feel so much better; more energy, better sleep, and likely some weight loss! So grab a friend and give it a try. Don’t think you can commit to 100% plant-based, try committing a few days a week without animal products.
To start this month off, I am going to share one of my favorite breakfast recipes!
Original Acai Bowl
- 1 Acai frozen packet
- 1/2 cup of Coconut water
- 1 Cup frozen blueberries or strawberries (or 1/2 cup of each)
- 1/2 Banana
- Fresh Blueberries (or other favorite fruit)
- 2 Tbs Hemp Seeds
– Combine Acai, coconut water, and frozen fruit in blender and blend until just smooth. Careful not to over blend as it will heat up and melt the base. Top with fruit, granola, hemp seeds, and honey and enjoy!
Some extra tips:
- Store-bought granola can be loaded with fat, sugar, and calories. Either make your own or buy one from a health food store that has clean ingredients.
- I like my base frozen so I make it ahead and put it in the freezer. Put in the fridge the night before to defrost and you will have a thicker base that is semi-frozen.
*Honey technically makes this not plant-based as this is a product from a living creature. Substitute with agave or maple syrup if desired.