The secret is out, Marwan and I are currently 15 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby boy! Since most of you were in the dark during my first trimester, you probably noticed I fell off the radar; no blog posts, no Instagram posts, and no SnapChat. This was mostly because I felt like crap, like literal, awful, don’t want to ever be pregnant again, crap.
Now don’t get me wrong, I am very excited to be pregnant. Marwan and I planned this pregnancy and we are blessed to have only had to try for 2 months before conceiving. But it hasn’t been all healthy glow and pregnancy miracles over her.
So here is a round-up of my first trimester symptoms:
- This isn’t like the stomach bug nausea where you throw up and feel better after 2 days. I was nauseous for 9 weeks straight, from the moment I woke up until the time I went to bed. My only relief was eating, so I ended up snacking every 30 mins, not good!
- If you are currently experiencing this, don’t worry, my nausea started backing off around the 10th week and was gone by week 15. If you are the unfortunate one diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum, I am so sorry! Definitely talk to your doctor about what medicines you can take to help your symptoms.
- I gained 10 pounds of water weight the first two weeks I was pregnant. I freaked out! My legs were swollen, I looked like I was already showing, and my face was extra puffy. So I started chugging the water and fortunately, it all fell right off in about 4 days. I haven’t had this return yet, but I am fearing the third trimester.
- Pregnancy does some major slowing down to your GI tract and after about week 4, I noticed everything I ate made my belly look bigger and bigger. Then I would go to sleep and wake up the next morning with a flat belly. It was weird. My Ob recommended MiraLax even though I was still having regular bowel movements and this worked!
- This one is rough and I don’t have the luxury of staying at home to relax all day. Many of my shifts in the beginning of my pregnancy were 12 hours long. I was so tired that I was sneaking away for an hour in the afternoon to hide in the call room for an hour, just so I could survive the rest of my shift. I got home from work and immediately went to sleep.
- This is the one symptom that I don’t have a cure for and it has yet to resolve on its own. If you can take naps throughout the day, do it! I also continue to think I can do everything I did before pregnancy, like cook, clean, and work full-time. I have learned that I have to take breaks when I’m doing chores, getting groceries is enough to wipe me out, and laundry is only necessary when you are completely out of clothes. Marwan has been stepping up a lot and doing most of the work around the house. But I am also learning to prioritize and pick only one big task to do each day.
I know I make the first trimester sound bad, and truthfully, I hated it. But there are also those magical moments. The first time we heard the heartbeat and then learning we were having a baby boy are moments I will remember for the rest of my life. Did any of you have any weird first trimester symptoms? Share below!